about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Expositor Lite


I’m still discovering useful photo apps, like exposure lookup tables and depth of field calculators. Many of the reference notes that I keep on my studio workstation are now available to me in the field on the iPhone as an app. Even when I’m in the studio, I’m finding it’s more convenient to dial the numbers into an iPhone app than to look them up on a table.

Again, some apps don’t work, or have clumsy interfaces that make them difficult to use. I have no problem plunking down a couple of bucks for an app as long as it works. The best formula seems to be the free app with either limited features or ads, which I can use to assess the quality of the paid version.

Expositor Lite is like that. The interface is a little different from the typical exposure meter paradigm, but it’s very usable.



The Lite version has a limited exposure range and feature set, making it suitable only for daytime photography. Purchase the full version, and you get half-stop increments, an EV range of -6 to +16, an ISO range from 25 to 25,600, apertures from f/1 to f/32, shutter speeds from 1/8000 to 30 seconds, and exposure compensation from -10 to +10 stops. Definitely a candidate for purchase at a mere $1.99.


No comments: