about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year’s Eve Skies

Voigtländer Color-Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II; 1/400 s -1 @ f/8.0, ISO 200

Just out for a stroll on New Year’s Eve 2011 with my trusty D90 and Voigtländer Color Skopar. The way the branches were silhouetted against the afternoon sky caught my eye, so I thought I’d take a series of exposures.

This is a great lens to use for this type of work, because it’s so sharp from center to edge. Even the finest branches in the corners are free from ca’s. This was one of my favorite exposures for its composition and movement.

Shooting wide is always challenging for me as I tend to pixel-peep and come up disappointed. Small, far away details are overcome by the limits of resolution, leading to the initial conclusion that the lens is not sharp. However, this is an optical illusion inherent in shooting with wide angle lenses. Branches in winter are a great test of a lens’s resolution.


No comments: