about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Monday, May 24, 2010

My Perspective on Zooming

Transitioning to digital, specifically the 16mm x 24mm DX format, has given me a greater awareness of focal length. Figuring out the crop factor has not been a major issue for me. Quite the opposite in fact, as being forced to really think about the focal length I’m using has made it easier to understand it.
I consider the angle of perspective of a lens far more important than it’s scaling factor. For example, If I’m going to shoot a portrait with a zoom lens, I first choose the appropriate focal length, in the range of 75-100mm, then compose the image, “foot zooming” (adjusting the distance between the camera and subject) as necessary to tweak the composition. Only if spacial limitations exist do I solely rely on the adjustability of focal length to compose the image.

So, when using my 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6, I keep two sets of numbers in my head at all times, one for FX and one for its DX equivalent. 24mm (16mm DX) are the widest choices, great for lomography, architecture, landscapes, etc. 50mm (35mm DX) are “normal”, 75mm (50mm DX) are great for portraits, and 127mm (85mm DX) and beyond for closeups and macro.

When you think about it, photography is very much about numbers; ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and focal length. And oddly enough, photography’s latest advancement, digital, is even more so.


No comments: