about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Little Trip Back in Time

Along with my purchase of the Nikon 28mm Series-E, I also ordered a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 so I can display my Minolta SR-T 201 with my other “collectible” SLRs.

A while back I decided the best way to continue to enjoy these cameras is to keep them in plain sight. I found some plastic display cases at the Container Store that work perfectly. Each one fits between the partitions of an IKEA shelf, and allows me to display the camera with the lens cap off in a dust-free environment. The last holdout was the SR-T201, as the only genuine Minolta lens I have is the 100mm f3.5 macro, way too big to fit.

The Minolta SR-T holds a special place for me. It was one of the two cameras I learned on in my High School photography class, the other being a Miranda. I always loved that camera; to me it was the SLR, so looking back, I can’t quite understand why I settled on the Canon AE-1 for my first purchase. Maybe it was because I was sold on shutter priority, the Minolta XG7 having aperture priority.

To be honest, I’m not really sure whether it was an SR-T 101, 201 or even a 202. I do know that the MD 50mm f1.7 lens I bought was definitely not the one I learned on, as it was from the nineties. But that doesn’t matter; it’s a great lens for $35.00 and works perfectly with the SR-T 201 body. It has the minimum aperture lock to go with an aperture priority automatic body.

While in working condition, the SR-T201 is not in the best condition, compared to my AE-1, which is practically mint, and my F-1 which is certainly “good”. As a collector though, if I come across a nice SR-T201 or 202 body, I might replace it. And an XG7 might correct the whole Canon mishap. I much prefer aperture priority.

A close inspection of this lens reveals some interesting facts compared with the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 Series-E. This Minolta has a considerable amount of plastic just as the Nikon did; the aperture ring, focus ring, and front lens bezel. Only the body ring that contains the hyperfocal scale (one of the most complete I’ve every seen) is actually anodized (not painted) metal. But then, this is not a Rokkor-X branded lens, it’s a Minolta. It’s not easy to tell that this lens is mostly plastic on the outside. Apparently Nikon was open about the fact, as they were much criticized for it.

Since in High School I was learning manual photography, the classic match-needle system was ideal, it put me in the ballpark, but let me ultimately decide on the actual exposure, easily and quickly. Then there was the AE-1. Even though it was shutter priority, I used it like an aperture priority camera; I simply took a reading and adjusted the shutter speed dial until I found the aperture I wanted in the viewfinder, which had an aperture scale. What I found so appealing about the Canon F-1, was that like the SR-T201, it too used a match needle system. However, neither camera had an aperture scale in the viewfinder.




No comments: