about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Defining iPhoneography

Now that iPhoneography (much like Lomography) has more or less been officially established as a photographic genre, I need to differentiate it from my other categories.

On one hand, the iPhone is just another camera. But on the other, unlike my other cameras, it is in fact a lightroom, a photo album and a wirephoto service all in one. Used in this way, the works derived from it become more than just photos, and I need to define them as such. So, I have a new “genre” folder in my library named “iPhoneography” and in it I will place works that have been captured and/or post-processed solely on the iPhone.

This means establishing a firm definition of just what iPhoneography is to me. It may bridge many other genres and styles, but the one underlying principal that these images will have in common is that they will not have been touched by any other post-processing applications other than those running on the iPhone. Once an image captured on the iPhone is post-processed on the iPhone in any way, it becomes iPhoneography. Images which are captured but not processed on the iPhone may be categorized as iPhoneography, but may also be categorized under the other genres and styles in my library.


No comments: