about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Collection

It was never a cognitive decision to become a collector of cameras. It just sort of happened. After acquiring about five collectible pieces, of which I have no idea as to how I came about them, it seemed to be a logical outlet to my fascination with these precision little devices.

I then came to realize that if I’m going to have a collection, it should have certain pieces in it; that is, it should contain a reasonable variety of cameras from different periods, of different designs, with different purposes. This summer’s acquisitions, which were intentional, helped to fill the rangefinder void, and even provide some new shooters. I’m quite excited about the prospect of shooting some 6x9s with the Kodak Brownie Bull’s-Eye.

The ongoing process of building a virtual collection comprised of downloaded and painstakingly groomed images has kept me aware of what to look for. Still, I had no idea that the Bull’s-Eye even existed. Now, I feel as if I should get a second example to modify, Holga-style.

Until now, these cameras have been tucked away in cardboard boxes, taken out from time to time to float around, only to return to their corrugated cells. But now that it’s official, I’ve decided to give them a real home.

IKEA sells an inexpensive ($65.00!) mostly-glass display case which is perfect for collectors. Its IKEA name is Detolf, and it measures approximately 16" x 14" x 64". It has four fixed shelves which can easily accommodate four cameras each, and up to nine if you get creative. I decided to place my cameras on graduated risers, three across by three deep.

The design of the case seems to have evolved over the years, and it now features frosted plastic channels along the back corners to join the glass and keep out dust. The narrow gap at the front could easily be sealed with foam weatherstrip if need be.

Although many of these gems still work, it’s nice to be able to appreciate them as the mechanical marvels they still are in the digital world of today.


No comments: