about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Untermyer Park, Revisited

Literally. This was my second visit to this historic site, and an opportunity to practice what I preach.

Accompanied by my honey, I wanted to travel light. She had an opportunity to put her AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm through its paces on her D3100, and I my Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2.0 SL II on the D610. 

I have to say, on a full-frame camera, 40mm is amazingly versatile. In tight spaces, I had no problems with cropping out important elements, and it always seemed to give me the ideal angle of view. Getting in close was not an issue either, and I had the dedicated 39mm close-up lens with me just in case. 

Focusing was amazing. Very quick and easy with the D610’s three-segment indicator, and no matter how I was holding the camera, I could focus with whichever fingertip I had available. I never missed autofocus.

What I did miss was my trusty Hoya HRT polarizer; don’t have one in 52mm, and didn’t want to bulk up with a step-up ring. With a fast 2.0 aperture, it would have worked great. 

I’ve yet to order the dedicated Nikon CF-DC5 case, but with this lens I’m thinking a Zing camera cover might be a more compact solution. I can definitely see myself toting this setup around often. 




No comments: