about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

First Impressions: Fujifilm X20

Faux Pas; All camera manufacturers have them. A recent one for Fujfilm was the X10. A great camera with one major flaw; a defectively designed sensor.

I was fortunate to have dodged Nikon’s recent screw-up with the D600, but it was luck and indecisiveness more than anything. Not so with the X10. It’s a mixed bag, because I absolutely love the camera, and who knows how long I would have gone until I discovered the orb problem everyone has spoken about.

I still believe to this day that the sensor is unique in its ability to capture more highlight detail up to the point of no return when it forms the hard edge to create these “orbs”. Any other camera would just create a larger blown-out area, albeit with a smoother transition. Which is why I was not so quick to have the sensor replaced. To this day however, I have avoided using the camera in anticipation of taking it to Fujifilm for service.

The way the whole situation was handled was pretty dismally on Fuji’s part, but typical of the camera industry. Nikon was definitely more upfront about the D600, and once you sent it in for a free sensor cleaning, everything was pretty much OK. It was blown out of all proportion. But I’m glad for the killer 6FPS drive speed and other subtle improvements.

When the X20 came along, I wasn’t all that excited. But, learning that its successor will probably forgo an optical viewfinder, and reading just how much sharper the X-Trans, no AA sensor is, has given me pause. And, the finder with LCD overlay is too good to pass up. So, I ordered possibly one of the last X20s out there, and received it yesterday.

Recalling the X10’s controls and menus (I haven’t even picked it up in a while), the fact that they repurposed the “RAW” button to “Q” irked me, but now I get it. I love the simplicity of the LCD overlay. Color-coded, and not over the top. It feels a little surreal to have even this much information in the viewfinder, especially in a compact camera and a rangefinder form factor. The focus peaking, the eye sensor for the finder; it’s all good. Much more than I’ll ever need.

I’m done for quite a while. Between the D610 and this, I’m covered. I’ll not be bringing my D610 along on family vacations or outings. Far too much to pack. It will be this camera all the way. Fast. Awesome focal length range. Tons of creative potential. No additional lenses to worry about. A closed system. And no more orbs to agonize about.


No comments: