about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kalt 52mm Metal Lens Hood

As my new AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8 D does not have a dedicated bayonet hood, I decided to order this very inexpensive metal hood from Kalt.

My last experience with this brand was many years ago, when I purchased 35mm film canisters from them. I still use them to this day. It’s a well-established brand for generic accessories. I figured, for $9.95 I could’t go wrong.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this hood is just terrific. Extremely well-machined from aluminum, black anodized, and carrying a simple silver tampo marking: 52mm. Is it flocked inside you ask?. No, even better; machined ribs, and 58mm filter threads at the open end. But most importantly, I can fit the original lens cap inside. Or, I can just add a 58mm cap to the end.

If fits the 50mm AF-D perfectly, and is in fact, smaller in diameter than the lens itself, making it quite compact.

And, at 52mm, it also works perfectly with my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E, Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2.0 SL II and even my AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G when used in DX crop mode.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

While I don't claim to know any specifics about Bamford's rolex replica uk history with Rolex, I know that Rolex - like many companies - is diligent in protecting their products, intellectual rolex replica uk property, and business practices. Whether or not they like or agree with what Bamford Watch Department and its competitors do, they have a duty to their own rights, to assert them or rolex replica sale potentially lose them. In fact, what Rolex has which is most valuable in addition to its trademark is their signature mark of quality. Most watch designs are not replica watches protected by any intellectual property rights and Rolex must vehemently defend against everything that erodes or confuses consumer understanding about replica watches uk their products. Intentionally or not, Bamford does this, and unfortunately, it wouldn't be the same business replica watches sale for George if he took the Rolex logo off the Rolex watches he modifies.