about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Love of Lensbaby

I love Lensbaby; I really do. I bought the Composer, four optics and some accessories when I had my Nikon D90, but didn’t use it very much. When I purchased my Nikon D610, I began to use it more and more, but the aperture disks do slow things down a bit. I like the simplicity of them, and the fact that I can use swap them for the soft focus or special effects apertures. But when Lensbaby came out with the metal-bodied Composer Pro bundled with the Sweet 35 optic, I became immediately enamored with it. But, just now that I’m just getting around to ordering it, the Composer Pro II comes out, and throws a monkey wrench into my plans.

This is where my relationship with Lensbaby gets a little rocky. If the Composer Pro came bundled with the Sweet 35, I might have bought it on the spot. But, instead it comes bundled with the Edge 50. A nice optic, especially since its flat field optic more accurately simulates the “tilt-shift” effect. And, I was looking for something a little wider. Lensbaby can’t tell me if or when the Composer Pro II will be bundled with the Sweet 35, and I’m not prepared to pay $424.95 for it when it has less tilt range than the standard Composer Pro (or my original Composer for that matter.)

Now, I’m also thinkin’ about two other Lensbaby products. Liking the Velvet 56 for sure. But $499.95? (And then there’s the special edition in silver with copper accents for $100.00 more.) For $469.95 I could get the venerable NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4. But instead, I get a lens with one of the worst wide-open performances ever made. Not that I’m opposed to the aesthetic. But more on that later.

The other is the Circular Fisheye, and at $299.00 (right now available for $249.95) it’s both accessible and fun. So, no complaints here.

So while these two hold appeal for me, the Velvet 56 just doesn’t resonate, even though its aesthetic does. And this gets me thinking. When was the last time I encountered such significant coma that it created an ethereal, soft-focus effect? The last time I shot with a Minolta MD lens wide open…on my Nikon that is!

Yep, you read right; below f/4, those inexpensive optical lens adapters turn a normal lens into a soft-focus portrait lens.

The extra length increases the effective focal length, and the optics create coma that imparts a soft glow while letting sharp detail show through. 

So, if you love Lensbaby like I do, but you’re on a budget, choose wisely, and remember there are other options.

No comments: