about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Last Days of Summer

It’s been eight months since I started this blog, and I must say I’ve enjoyed sharing my experiences with the rest of the photographic world. Being a teacher as well as a photographer, I find it’s been a useful venue for helping those who want to become better photographers, which includes myself. One of my mantras has always been, “I teach in order to learn, and learn in order to teach; the two go hand in hand”.

So, I’ve decided to take the leap, and spruce up the design of “Against the Grain” with Blogger’s pretty cool design templates, and add content pages that are not timeline specific. As one who has spent a fair amount of time designing for web media, I find using Blogger quite liberating; I can concentrate on the content, without getting all caught up in the design. I just have to learn to work with Blogger’s rather primitive HTML editor.

Looking ahead, the fall colors should provide many photographic opportunities, especially for my new Didymium filter, which seems destined for such use by design. I’m looking forward to experimenting with it so I can give it the write-up it deserves.

Time is running out for Infrared work, which seems less spectacular once the foliage leaves us. It should be interesting to see if fall foliage, with all its reds, oranges and yellows, registers any differently. After all, it’s not about the color green, but how the leaves reflect infrared light, and perhaps autumn leaves do it a little differently.

I’ve come pretty far, and yet there’s so much further to go. When compact discs first came out, I was motivated to acquire all those albums I had held off buying until they were available in a more permanent format. So it is with photography. Each new purchase seems like it has more value, now that photography is in the digital domain. So, I’m working hard to catch up on all those accessories I’ve always wanted.

Photography is as alive as ever, even more so now that it’s digital. Working in the Times Square area of New York, you see a lot of people with all types of cameras, taking all types of pictures. Everyone has a different MO, and there’s a camera for just about every one. With so many people taking and sharing photos, and an infinite amount of subject matter, it seems I have my work cut out for me.


No comments: