about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

RAW Processing: X10 vs. D90

The degree to which you can process a Raw image on the X10 is quite extensive compared with the D90.

As a rule, I process images in the Lightroom, so I don’t have a pressing need for this function. As a result, I haven’t really explored this on the D90. But, as I put the X10 through its paces, I’ve come across its rather extensive list of processing options, which is basically everything. And this has encouraged me to revisit this function on the D90.

I’m pleased to say that there are some options, but they’re very basic. The ability to change white balance and exposure are important, resolution and compression less so. And once you generate a JPEG image, you can’t process it any further.

It’s all good though. The D90 is reserved for very serious work, so this kind of processing will always be done in the Lightroom. But, it does make the X10 a Camera Raw champion.


No comments: