about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Giant Tires

Giant Tires, Hawthorne, NJ
iPhone 4S, 1/580s @ f/2.4, ISO 50

As I drove past Giant Tire Service on Wagraw Road in Hawthorne, I saw these enormous tires stacked along the road, and couldn’t resist turning around to stop...

Giant tires (see building in the background for scale).
I took several shots, envisioning them as potential black and whites. In my home studio, I converted the featured photo to black and white in Adobe Camera Raw, using the color information to darken the sky and add contrast. The top half was a little hazy, but correcting it meant obscuring the nice shadow detail at the bottom. So, I adjusted for the bottom first, and opened the image in Photoshop. Then, reopened the original in Camera Raw, and adjusted for the top, opening it up in Photoshop. I layered the two images with a gradient mask to dodge the correction at the bottom of the top layer. This is the result.


No comments: