about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Clock Tower, Newark Broad Street Station

Canon Powershot SD780 IS; 1/125 @ f/4.5, ISO 200. Perspective corrected in Adobe Camera Raw.
I was traveling westbound, and as the train pulled into the Newark Broad Street Station, I caught a glimpse of the morning light falling onto the tower. As luck would have it, the train stopped at the perfect location to photograph the tower head-on, so I quickly pulled out my Canon and took this single shot.

When I reviewed the image, I realized it was different than how I originally visualized it. The human eye automatically corrects perspective errors; the camera does not. Short of using a perspective-control lens on my Nikon D90, the other way to correct this is through post processing. The latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (6.4.1) includes a set of transform functions in the Lens Corrections panel, which permits non-destructive perspective correction. After applying a vertical transform of -34, cropping, and gently adjusting the exposure and color, this image represents the tower as I had initially visualized it.


No comments: