about the banner…

Water lilies at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Orchid Show, April 5, 2014. Taken with the Nikon D610 + AF-S Zoom NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED VR. 1/600 s @ f/5.6 -0.67, ISO 800.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Boothbay Time Warp

Some Things Never Change.

In 1977, I was sixteen years old and spending my summer vacations in Boothbay Harbor. Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors had been released in February, and was a huge hit. I recall standing at the foot of Wharf Street outside the pizzeria, listening to songs from that album. And today as I walk up that same hill towards Sherman’s Books & Stationery, what should I hear but Don’t Stop from that same album.

Like our sense of smell, music can be a powerful force in recalling a memory. And today, it’s as if I was warped back to 1977. It was a very strange feeling.

In general, that’s one of the things I love about Boothbay. It is, in its own way, timeless and unspoiled. The pizzeria is still there, although I’m sure it has changed hands since then. But so much is still the same, like Downeast Ice Cream which is just across the street from Pier One Pizza. Each night after supper we journey across the footbridge in search our favorite of the 30 or so flavors.

No comments: